Dr. Farnum is a clinical Infectious Disease Specialist with over 25 years’ experience in the Lansing area. He is board certified in General Internal Medicine and Infectious Disease and has been proactive in the Lansing area since 1993.
Dr. Farnum grew up in White Lake, Michigan area as the youngest of three. He excelled in distance running in high school and was awarded a Boosters Scholarship from Lakeland High School, as well as the Huron Valley Lions Club (combination of Athletic and Academic achievements). He entered Michigan State University and earned a Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology in 1983. He then completed a Medical Technology Internship at Henry Ford hospital and became Board Certified in June 1994. He attended Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine from 1984-1988 and was a member of the fraternity Sigma Sigma Phi. He completed his internship and Internal Medicine residency at Lansing General Hospital and was chosen resident of the year in 1991. He did a residency in Infectious Disease at Botsford General Hospital from 1991-1993 and spent nearly half his time at Henry Ford Hospital during his residency.
He specializes in the care of complex medical problems in adults with expertise in multiple disciplines in the medical profession including Dermatology, Epidemiology, Hematology, Infectious Disease/Microbiology, Orthopedic/Prosthetic Joint Infections, Neurological Diseases, Pulmonary/Critical Care, Rheumatology and Sepsis/Septic Shock.
Appointments, Certifications, and Positions
- Clinical Professor of Medicine, MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Fellow of the American College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Member, American Osteopathic Association
- Member, American College of Osteopathic Internists
- Member, Michigan Infectious Disease Society
- Member, American Society for Clinical Pathology
- Member, Antibiotic Stewardship Program (ASP), McLaren Greater Lansing
- Medical Director of Infectious Control, McLaren Greater Lansing
- Medical Staff, McLaren Greater Lansing
Personal Information and Special Interests
Dr. Farnum has been married to his wife, Elyse since 1995. They live in Okemos and enjoy movies and music. His other hobbies include being around water/lakes, scuba diving and sports.